Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Staphylococcus aureus

How do you pronounce this term? Staphylococcus aureus.

ˌstæf.ə.ləˈkɒ.kəs ˈoɹ

OOOPs sorry I have not mastered the way of the boffins, how to put these non-recognisable letters in this f.... blog.

staph·y·lo·coc·cus from Encarta

and the same inside info states this fact.

"Definition:

bacterium occurring in clusters: a bacterium that typically occurs in clusters resembling grapes, normally inhabits the skin and mucous membranes, and may cause disease. These bacteria commonly infect the skin, eyes, and urinary tract, and some produce toxins responsible for septicemia and food poisoning. Genus Staphylococcus "


So we in UK has been suffering from this illness for a number of years? No we had others before. First this is "a spherical bacterium, frequently living on the skin or in the nose of a person. Approximately 20%-30% of the general population are "staph carriers"". Why are 70% to 80% excused? Are they immune to it?

FRom:

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?refid=1861714558

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staphylococcus_aureus
If you cannot find the links in this blog, I have majority of them filed, Email me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMGG.
it so doesn't tell you how to say AUREUS. i typed that into google trying to know how to say it for a science fair. and this is the crap that i get. ugh.
you should so fix it. i'm 13 and i HAVE to know how to say that word in 4 hours. thanks alot. JERK.

Always said...

Your mama might like it but you calling me a jerk is not right is it?
There is a link above: "staph·y·lo·coc·cus from Encarta". If you clicked on that link you would have been taken to Encarta page where you can see the word properly and listen to how it is pronounced.

Aureus has a different word meaning when taken on its own.

"Roman coin: a gold coin that was a unit of currency in the Roman Empire between 30 bc and ad 310".

I use the

http://www.onelook.com/

to find meanings and definitions of various words. Through that I found that
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/aureus

gives the pronounciation of the word.

I am sorry you ended up in my blog while you were researching a science paper. I am still wondering how? Hope you use the above tools next time and good luck with your education.

Anonymous said...

stab me in the face and call me your mom

Always said...

Ahh there you are. I bin adopted never knew my real mom. I still don't know whether to love my mom or hate her for dumping me. Good to know she is still alive. I don't do stabbing tho!